Saturday, October 9, 2010

A BREATHE OF FRESH AIR

Weekends here are long at CHS. Fewer apts on Sat and none on Sundays. But we got the green light to go outside and we did so Friday night for ICECREAM. We walked about 5 blocks through traffic and the hussle and bussle of Rutgers football game. Today we walked to the park and I slide with Aidan down the slide and pushed him in a smaller childrens swing that allowed him to sit back and enjoy the ride. Tomorrow we will walk downtown for a family dinner.

Today he asked "Mommy, what happened to me that made me be in the hospital?" It was the first time he actually asked.  I explained he caught a virus from some germs like a cold. He quicky responded I always wash my hands. I explained anyone could have caught the virus but everyday he is getting stronger and soon he'll be better. He is asking more questions and showing his sadness as to why he's in the wheelchair. Today he said , "How come I am the only one in the wheelchair in the family?" It breaks my heart but he's a strong and determined boy.

We had our Patient Family meeting where we review his progress and goals. They feel is doing fantastic but they reminded me that he may hit a plateau or become fatigued quickly. We have been using a regular potty and he was proud to be able to tend to his own hygiene. We still need to use the chair for showers.

Wednesday Oct 13th is his birthday which may prove to be a good distraction with a party and presents. Tonight we unpacked a gift from Aunt Jenny which was an electric plane that hovers through the hallways. It was a great treat for all the kids on the floor since they all heard the hum and emerged from their rooms to see what was happening.

Monday we will likely transition to a non powered wheel chair! Stay posted!!

No comments:

Post a Comment